Moto

"Du bist, was du isst."
- from Mein Teil by Rammstein

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

What I Ate Today: A Bento under the Red Moon

Yesterday, my mother and grandmother arrived at Sapporo. It was of course really nice to see them, especially because it was Sapporo, Japan, not Korea. Today, as well as yesterday, we spent some time together. But I'm not going to post all the things I did; I'm getting busier and busier, and I really need to sleep early. 


Lunch. Price on the list. Domburi with karaage and negi, and two pieces of oden. It was nice. I had lunch with a friend of mine at Chuo Shokudo(中央食堂, Central Cafeteria), because one in the north, where I have lunch mostly, was insanely crowded. Chuo was much better. Of course, the menu, the price, and the taste (which is the most important thing) were all same.
What is funny and interesting, and maybe even genius, is that on the receipt, there is the data of my diet. e.g. my meal was had 1,007 kcal of energy, and some details too. It's actually quite awesome, though one has to decipher the Japanese and kanji to understand it.

 

McDonald's at Sapporo station. Black Burger (Ikasumi Burger, a Burger with squid's ink in it) and White Burger (Camembert Burger). Looks... intersting. By the way, Burger King in Japan is also selling a black burger (黒バーガー, Kuro Burger) now. Is it just coincidence, or is it just because the Halloween is coming, and it has something to do with black? Anyways, I'd like to try those black burgers sometime.


I ordered two pieces of mushroom risotto ball and a 'large' size cup of cola. In Korea, we call that cup 'medium', and probably in the U.S., regular, small, or so. And it costed 250 Yens. Crazy, isn't it?


An apple sorbet bought in the underground shopping mall (ESTA? Stellar Place?) near Sapporo station. It was ice cold, soft, but I can feel the particles, and it tasted just like a real apple. 300 Yens. An unbelievably great dessert. One of my best ice cream ever.


Oh yeah, there was a full lunar eclipse. I've never seen it before. It was an amazing and exciting experience to see the moon becoming red. It was a bit darker than I thought, though. And it'd have been much much much better but for the light pollution of Sapporo.
Anyways, instead of just uploading the picture of lunar eclipse, which must be filling all the SNSs, I'd rather post what I ate under the red moon. (No need to mention that my pictures are in a poor quality.)
This is a bento I bought from a store which was one block away from northeast gate of Hokkaido University. This teriyaki chicken domburi (yes, I love domburi so I eat it almost everyday) costed about a little less than 500 Yens. The smell was so strong that I even felt sorry for the friends who were watching the moon together on campus. I really don't understand why Japanese people just don't use spoon to eat domburi. It's difficult to gather the rices. With a spoon, using it like a shovel, eating becomes much easier, cleaner, and more decent. The strange thing is that Japanese people do use spoon when they eat curry rice. Indeed, chopstick is a good tool in that one can eat food as if s/he is eating with a hand (not hands). There are, however, foods which it's better to eat with a spoon, not a pair of chopsticks.




As it was cold outside, and I rode bike for somewhat long time today, and I walked a lot with my mother around Sapporo station to enjoy window shopping, I had a second dinner. This bento (yes, bento again!) was made by Hotto Motto. The price was very low, maybe similar to convenient store's bentos. Of course, Hotto Motto's is way better. It's warm and one can enjoy the taste.

Ok, enough for today. 

1 comment: