Moto

"Du bist, was du isst."
- from Mein Teil by Rammstein

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

What I Ate Today: Curry Rice of Serendipity

After Japanese Kanji class has ended, I and a friend of mine, Nimar, went to eat lunch together. Menu? Curry rice. Venue? Somewhere in front of our university's hospital. Lunch time, 500 Yens. Name? As I remember, it was 'Curry House'. Not sure. 



Nimar looking into the display cupboard full of vintage stuffs, from wrist watches to documents, and from compass to abacus. In addition, a lot of old cameras.

On the right side, there are some documents. The one in the middle was from Taisho (大正) 12, which is 1924 or 1925, or sometime around that, I'm not sure, but either way, which IS old times. It's even before the WWII! Wow.


Clocks. I want to know the past of this restaurant and the chef. What kind of person would she have been? And this place? Why are there so many old things? I didn't asked though. Maybe I'll get to know as I frequent here.


And old playthings, which was reminding of the childhood even for me. I myself also used to play with those paper-based toys, though I'm not that old (at least I believe so). Information technology has changed even the children's culture, you know.



The foods are offered at moderate prices here.


Another carte, but handwritten.


The restaurant was not so clean and modern like high-level or franchise ones, but that's not why people visit those places. An old lady, the chef, talked to me as if I were a frequenter. News was coming out from a radio somewhere in the kitchen, loudly, saying that the first snow (初雪, Hatsu Yuki) came today, which is 11 days (!) earlier than average. The kitchen was open to everyone, just like others in Sapporo, but it was even revealing the spices, ingredients used here, and so on.





Actually, I had expected just a dish of curry rice, but what was served was a full set. And it looked really nice. Oh and yeah, it tasted good. I enjoyed the chicken, and the miso soup was also great. And the slices of apple, which are the red-thingy on bottom-left, tasted unique, sour, and sweet. And it comes only for 500 Yens. I don't know, really not, why we were the only customers. Maybe it becomes crowded during the evening? The chef was preparing quite a lot of meats, probably for dinner.

Anyways, I'm just happy that I found a place to have a nice, full meal with only 500 Yens - less than the money I usually spend at student cafeteria!




1 comment: