Moto

"Du bist, was du isst."
- from Mein Teil by Rammstein

Friday, October 3, 2014

What I Ate Today: Comics Shop Does Not Sell Textbooks, but My Dream Came True


Today, the Japanese language course began. The class I'm placed in was much larger than I expected. I'd thought that there'd be 20 people or so. It turned out that, however, the number of students exceeds 40. Well, whatever. It's a grammar course. It'd be okay even if there is no time dedicated to practice in class, though it's quite an unlikely situation. 
The problem is that the class starts at 8:45 in the morning. No one likes to get up in 7 a.m. Seriously, no one does. No one. How can a student go to school alive when the sun barely came out of the under-horizon world, and the air is still freezing? 
By the way, I don't remember what I did after the class and before the lunch, which is between 10:15 and noon or sometime around that time. Thank God that no one cares.


Anyways, this was my lunch (half eaten). I had it at the northern cafeteria(Gakusei syokudo, 学生食堂). The main dish, which is served in the large bowl, is called Negi-something. It's a domburi with negi (spring onion; or Welsh onion) and fried chicken on rice. Sides were a piece of soft tofu with shoyu(soy) sauce, salad with non-fat radish dressing which tasted shoyu, and a grilled I-don't-know-the-name fish with shoyu sauce. Hey, everything was shoyu! Welcome to Japan, myself! Enjoy my shoyu meal. 
Well, the tastes were nice, though. You can see that I even forgot to take a picture before I've eaten half of the meal. But I had to cut the chicken with my teeth, because they were too tough to be cut with chopsticks. Price in total was around 650 Yen, as I remember. Not too expensive considering that I ate quite a lot (the domburi's size was large). 

After having lunch, finishing my course registration, reading a book for some minutes, and taking a nap, which necessarily comes with books, I left for a bookstore to buy the textbook for Modern Japanese History class. I've been to the university bookstore, and found out that there was only one book which is written in English. Of course the textbook I need is in English. The class is held in English, and the professor is English (or British, at least).

Disappointed, I searched on Google map, and get the information: Tsutaya is the nearest bookstore from the campus. I unlocked my bike and got on. 





Some random scenery of Sapporo. Photos taken on the way from Hokkaido University to Tsutaya.
It started raining what I reached the middle point of the route or whatsoever. So I rode my bike with an umbrella on one hand. Not too strange is it to ride a bike that way here in Sapporo, fortunately.

The bookstore was large enough to make me anticipate that I can read the textbook during this weekend. I started looking around.


The newest volume of the original of the ultra-famous TV Show <Hanzawa Naoki>, of which the fandom includes me as one of the members of it. That guy staring at you is my favorite male Japanese actor, Sakai Masato. I really want to see him on my TV laptop.


Hm, the composition of a black leaf and letters seems familiar. Wait, the name of the book is [Kaetta Kita Hitora (Hitler Returned)]?! Oh I see... The text on the bottom of the cover says "Can Hitler gain the popularity (which he gained between two world wars) even today?" Ok, it IS an interesting topic. But I seldom believe Japanese to be 'sane' when it comes to such subjects. They tend to fantasize Nazi, the empire of Japan, war, death, and so on (at least I think so).

Such things, however, weren't important to me, but the textbook was. After a few minutes of searching, I discovered that Tsutaya was a paradise for otaku; it was filled with billions of billions of manga books (I have to admit that I did do some exaggeration). Sadly enough, but for sure, my textbook was not one of them.

With my heart broken did I try to go to my dorm. But the truth is always harsher than expected. I thought the sky was broken. I could see nothing but water poured from the sky. There was no choice but to wait inside Mister Donut right adjacent to Tsutaya till the rain stops.


370 Yen. Not the price of a cup of coffee, nor that of a Ponte Ring (the donut), but that of both of 'em. Nice. On a seat facing the window, I continued reading the book I read after lunch. (I couldn't fully focus on the book, though. The hairstyle of the girl across was... the incarnation of my idea. What? Hairstyle IS an important component of one's look.)
I never knew that I was going to sit and read there for the next 150 minutes. After I finished a chapter, the rain finally started to end. It was time for the dinner.


Since few years ago, I had a dream: to cook the Spaghetti Penetration (or maybe the Spaghetti through Sausage?) on my own. The motive was the accident of seeing a picture of it. It was weird at first, then shocking, and, lastly, brilliant, I felt. And today, after years of waiting, it was the day: my dream came true!
Making a Penetration of good quality was quite difficult. The tricky part was to arraying the noodles parallel. Except this part, thankfully, the rest was easy, as it was basically just Spaghetti.


Dinner served (Parmesan and Parsley added by the author). The sauce was instant; What I did was just to boiling it.


Reminds me of sentinels from the movie, Matrix. The robots didn't look delicious, though.



It's good for you! It's true unless you have a very sensitive tongue that can distinguish an instant tomato sauce and handmade one. It is, therefore, always tasty because no one can do so. (Warning! The statement above might be different from the truth.)


1 comment:

  1. Though it looks like a bug, it might be easy to be porked with its long legs.
    Bon appetti !

    ReplyDelete